[gmpi] Re: 3.15 MIDI (goals)

  • From: "Ron Kuper" <ronkuper@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 20 Jun 2004 19:50:06 -0400

> A proxy is like a wrapper plugin, we don't care what's inside.

What if wanted to create a graph that had music (MIDI) processors, external
synths, and software synths.  I might the external synth to exist in the
graph as a proxy, yet I might want the data from the MIDI processors to tee
off, one side feeding external synths and one feeding software synths.

Feeding this graph is a host in which the user has pre-recorded SysX
blobs -- many standard MIDI files are authored this way.  These blobs might
be patch dumps for the synth, perhaps also recognized by the software synth.
Suppose the software synth is emulating the hardware synth, and the scenario
is I am authoring content to sound the same on the hardware vs. software
implementation.

I think in this case the proxy needs raw MIDI (SysX) to process its patch
dumps.