[gmpi] Re: 3.15 MIDI (goals)

  • From: "Jeff McClintock" <jeffmcc@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2004 08:17:04 +1200

Jeff.
> > So we're saying a GMPI plugin could be used to represent some hardware
(say
> > a mixer), and that would allow you to save/recall the settings when you
> > load you music project.  Host could even automate that mixer along with
your
> > software plugins.

Ron.
> Oh!  I should have said that earlier.  There are a good number of OPT
> plugins out their whose sole purpose is to be a virtual front panel for
> physical gear.

Hi Ron,
I posted that before i realised that proxy plugins don't require raw MIDI in
the graph.

Same as if I wrote a proxy for an external DSP box connected by Firewire
(e.g. Powercore).  The Plugin to External box communication is private.

You can proxy external DSP on a PCI card, via Firewire, via LAN, via a
hardware MIDI port, yet none of these need direct support from GMPI, none of
the communication is via the GMPI graph.

A proxy is like a wrapper plugin, we don't care what's inside.

Best Regards,
Jeff