[gmpi] Re: 3.15 MIDI (bulk reply)

  • From: Chris Grigg <gmpi-public@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2004 14:22:28 -0700

Reasonable position, but how would you reconcile that way with the basic "opt-click a GUI knob, wiggle a MIDI fader" training functionality? I guess the plug GUI fork could conceivably export some kind of pixels-to-parameter mapping to let the host intercept the next MIDI msg then start doing the MIDI->GMPI thing. Or, better, the GUI fork could keep the host posted on what the currently selected parameter name is. For auto-constructed (by host) UIs the host already already has the info it needs.

-- Chris G.

Tim Hockin wrote:

Well, that's what I proposed.  Kinda.  What I proposed really says that
GMPI events are the "true" events.  Plugins may opt to receive raw MIDI.
If the raw MIDI affects the plugin, the plugin must notify the host.

Is that acceptable to you, in the MIDI camp?

Perhaps the model where the host manages all parameters as in keeping
plugin state is flawed? You can't know exactly how a plugin responds
to (N)RPNs, system exclusive or even CC.

Well, we can make parameters internal to plugins, and do something like
setParameterAutomated().  Or we can make the plugin which receives MIDI
tell the host what that MIDI did.  They are really isomorphic models.

All I can say to the point of having the plugins notify the host that they have changed their values "automagically" is go back and read all my my posts during the "Actor" discussions. If accepting MIDI means returning to the setParameterAutomated() world, then it is a deal-breaker for us. This is the number one issue why we are unhappy with VST, and if GMPI adopts the same mechanism, then there really is no reason for us to spend any effort to host GMPI plugins. And so, if the MiG camp feels that they also require setParameterAutomated() for their vision to work, then this is yet another reason to me why we can't go that direction.

-- Mike Berry Adobe Systems