[gmpi] Re: 3.15 MIDI (What does it mean to be a plugin)

  • From: Tim Hockin <thockin@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2004 00:43:35 -0700

On Tue, Jun 22, 2004 at 12:28:54AM -0700, Chris Grigg wrote:
> Tim said:
> >The actor is synchronous to the caller.  The caller knows immediately what
> >events are the result of it's event.  This way, the UI for the use case
> >above will not have jitter.
>
> But earlier Tim also said:
> >So the primary tenet was that it was awkward (at best) to get multiple
> >setParameterAutomated responses for one event.  Can we make this model
> >more acceptable?

> So I guess my comment stands, if there are linked parameters, then
> there are just as many dependent responses for a given event under
> GMPI than under VST.  Or do you mean it's about getting them all in a
> bunch, vs. distributed over time?

That's the jitter part.  Assume a VST with linked parameters.  The UI
never jitters because the GUI has a back-channel to the parameter
information.

If you take away that back-channel, and instead rely on
setParameterAutomated(), you could have as much as 1 whole buffer of
jitter between when the user actually moved the GUI widget to the time the
linked widget moves.  Worse, with proper MVC, you could have as much as 1
whole buffer of latency between the user moving the mouse and the widget
moving.

Without a private back-channel, or some other synchronous UI updater, UIs
will always feel sluggish and late.