[gmpi] Re: 3.15 MIDI (What does it mean to be a plugin)

  • From: "Jack O'Quin" <joq@xxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: 21 Jun 2004 22:35:15 -0500

Chris Grigg <gmpi-public@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> I was relying on the assertion that 'undo' is a degenerate case of
> automation (inventing various Capitalized Names trying to capture that
> flavor), but maybe they're not the same, quite.

I think each have unique requirements, but the underlying host-based
parameter control mechanism is common to both.

In some ways, a good undo is harder to implement.  The UI must group
operations into meaningful performance gestures.  It is quite
difficult to get a good intuitive feel for what users expect to undo.

To me, automation is the more important feature.  And, users really
will want repeatable results when playing audio starting from some
specified location under the control of an automation track.  It would
be ideal to generate exactly the same stream of samples.  That may be
impossible, but the sound should be at least as close as can be.
--
  joq