[gmpi] Re: 3.15 MIDI (What does it mean to be a plugin)

  • From: "Jeff McClintock" <jeffmcc@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2004 15:16:02 +1200

> Paul said:
> >Nobody has been suggesting that plugins should not be able to
> >generate MIDI either (though how directly has been an issue that we
> >haven't resolved yet).

>Chris G
> Hold up, recalibrate.  This is not the feeling I get from the posts.
> People who have advocated "NMiG" recently, do you agree with this
> statement?

Yes.  Plugins may indirectly generate MIDI.

Plugins generate GMPI music data.  At the outgoing edge of the graph, the
GMPI music data is converted back into MIDI.

If you stick to the Western Diatonic scale etc, no problem.

  If you generate, for example, Gamelan music inside the GMPI graph, it may
be difficult to accurately convert back to MIDI, but that's what one would
expect.

Jeff