[gmpi] Re: 3.15 MIDI (What does it mean to be a plugin)

  • From: "Koen Tanghe" <koen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2004 03:32:08 +0200

On Tuesday, June 22, 2004 1:49 AM [GMT+1=CET],
Ron Kuper <xxxronkuper@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Now it's my turn to get mad. :-)
>
>> That doesn't even pretend to do undo.  Let's all please stop throwing
>> silly things out.  There are enough emails already.
>
> It wasn't a silly idea.  What's silly is how hung-up everyone is on undo,
> when in the real world it's a corner case, a non-issue for 99% of the use
> cases.
>
>> And Ron, I'm waiting for an example of a MIDI-only plugin that can't be
>> wrapped ina GMPI plugin. :)
>
> Here's another thing that would be silly.  Imagine if the MIDI
> Manufacturer's Association came up with a music plugin spec that didn't
> support MIDI.  I can imagine the press release announcing the first
> universal music plugin format, featuring ... *no* MIDI.

This is leading nowhere...
You are right: I can see that if the MMA came up with a "music plugin spec
that didn't support MIDI" (as you put it), some people would panic a bit at
first.
The fact is however, that MIDI IS supported in the sense that all hosts
*will* still support MIDI for the coming years, only: there would be no MIDI
directly in the graph, but still at the boundaries (so still MIDI gear
supported).
Maybe the press release could announce the first universal music plugin
format featuring a control protocol that is more flexible than MIDI and
still keeps it possible to use your existing MIDI gear?
I guess it depends from what side you look at it.

Your mail, in fact, leads me to a direct question for which the answer could
save us some time: is it a requirement for the MMA that MIDI must be
directly available in the GMPI graph?

Koen