[gmpi] Re: 3.15 MIDI (What does it mean to be a plugin)

  • From: Tim Hockin <thockin@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2004 17:12:12 -0700

On Mon, Jun 21, 2004 at 07:49:28PM -0400, Ron Kuper wrote:
> > That doesn't even pretend to do undo.  Let's all please stop throwing
> > silly things out.  There are enough emails already.
>
> It wasn't a silly idea.  What's silly is how hung-up everyone is on undo,
> when in the real world it's a corner case, a non-issue for 99% of the use
> cases.

no, it's a mode of operation that, to me, suggests a clean model.  It's
not the ONLY factor, but if undo is not possible, we fucked up.

> > And Ron, I'm waiting for an example of a MIDI-only plugin that can't be
> > wrapped ina GMPI plugin. :)
>
> Here's another thing that would be silly.  Imagine if the MIDI
> Manufacturer's Association came up with a music plugin spec that didn't
> support MIDI.  I can imagine the press release announcing the first
> universal music plugin format, featuring ... *no* MIDI.  And whose musical
> universe does that live in?  Not the one that makes money selling gear.

GEAR and GMPI are living in two worlds.  Maybe the first M in MMA needs to
change.  Music starts with M.  How about that?

Seriously, if we can provide total interoperability, seamless integration,
easy migration, and flexibility that was previously unknown, will the
market really say "where's MIDI?".

When pressed, there hasn't been a reason.  Not one.