[gmpi] Re: 3.15 MIDI (What does it mean to be a plugin)

  • From: Mike Berry <mberry@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2004 17:41:07 -0600

Ron Kuper wrote:

If what you are suggesting is just to avoid re-writing existing legacy
plugins,

Not legacy plugins, legacy synth engine code, perhaps in a plugin but also
perhaps embedded.  MIDI is the common control language for these today.

OK, legacy synth engine code. So:

1) Assumes that the owners of these hardware algorithms want software versions of their synths.
2) Assumes that they will be happy with the performance of their legacy code for chip X when run on GMPI platform Y (not relevant for a proxy for an embedded synth).
3) Assumes that after spending the time to port to platform Y, they have no time left to add a GMPI->MIDI shim to feed their parameters.
4) Assumes that after all of this they don't care about running on GMPI hosts which don't support the optional MIDI parameter types.

I just have a hard time buying this. This only refers to hardware manufacturers who are looking for bit for bit emulation of a hardware synth in a plugin (i.e. they are uninterested in the wider control available with GMPI events). And all they have to do to make it work is add a GMPI->MIDI shim inside their plugin. I just don't support bifurcating GMPI to save a day or two of engineering effort necessary to support the shim (if it takes longer than that, then we failed on the design of GMPI events - in fact I would be OK with a requirement stating that GMPI<->MIDI translation for all standard MIDI messages should be completely clear and easy to achieve).

--
Mike Berry
Adobe Systems