[gmpi] Re: 3.15 MIDI (What does it mean to be a plugin)

  • From: Mike Berry <mberry@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2004 17:31:23 -0600

Chris Grigg wrote:

Consider a plug with one control input, two audio inputs, and an audio output. It does continuous signal analysis on one audio input, producing some simple or complex plug-internal state reflecting history of the audio signal, which is used as input for processing the other audio input. Separate higher-level control parameters are exposed on the control input. For this plug, rewinding state of all the published parameters to time T will not rewind the internal signal analysis state. Untotal Rewind despite following all the rules.

Consider a simple LFO plug, one control input with frequency, waveshape, and amplitude parameters. Rewinding parameter states to time T will not rewind the LFO phase. Untotal rewind despite following all the rules.

Consider a more complex LFO plug but basically like the above (but add a phase parameter to address the above scenario). Now, give it a trigger input and an EG so that when you ping the trigger you start a complex crossfade from one waveshape to another. Rewinding parameter states to time T will not rewind the LFO waveshape. Untotal rewind despite following all the rules.

I think that your concept of Total Rewind (sounds like a movie, or a tape deck feature :) does not map to my concept of undo. Here is what I need for undo:

1) The graph is reset and started at time t.
2) A parameter is changed.
-- intervening playback and such --
3) The parameter change is undone.
4) The graph is reset and started at time t.

I want the user to experience the "same" audio in step 1 as they do in step 4. If there is randomization that causes unreapeatibility, that is fine, because that is what the user expects. I expect LFO phase and reverb delay storage and all forms of history to be cleared when I reset the graph. The same for anything that does analysis on one of the inputs.
So in all of your examples I don't get your Total Rewind from the undo step. But the user gets exactly predictable behavior when they undo an action.

--
Mike Berry
Adobe Systems