[gmpi] Re: 3.15 MIDI (What does it mean to be a plugin)

  • From: "gogins@xxxxxxxxxxxx" <gogins@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2004 09:54:25 -0400

If we can't represent musical pitch as a real number, we are really out of
it. If pitch is a real number, the composer works in whatever tuning system
he or she already has going and just uses a one-line function to convert to
the final representation, or even just rounds off. If pitch is an index
plus a tuning table, it takes the composer more time to set up, leaving
less time to compose. It also results in a setup that is harder to
understand and harder to back up. Not what the composer wants.

If the composer wants to think in terms of tuning tables anyway, the one
real number method of representing pitch doesn't prevent that at all, and
doesn't even complicate it.

Real world use case: Csound has every method of representing pitch under
the Sun. I have seen linear octaves, Hertz, MIDI key numbers, octave.pitch
class, and tuning tables. Most composers use octave.pitch class, linear
octave, or Hertz (in roughly descending order of preference) regardless of
their style.