[gmpi] Re: 3.15 MIDI (What does it mean to be a plugin)

  • From: Chris Grigg <gmpi-public@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2004 01:20:19 -0700

Yeah, we're actually really in agreement, so maybe I wasn't clear enough, sorry.

Steve said:

Just to be clear, there is nothing of OSC in the proposed GMPI event
system. The paths were described as "OSC-like", in that they have name
components sperated by /'s, just like HTTP, and many filesystems,
OSC is just the most familiar thing in this domain.

Yes, I pointed out the same thing on a couple occasions.

Also, your comparison with OSC is not quite right, a GMPI control event
would be more like (/some/control/path set 10.0),...

Ah so, parameter name as part of path, then method name. Got it, thx. Of course this needs to be extended to work with note-ids for note-linked params, etc.

... just because the GMPI
events could be regarded as messages doesnt mean thier intended to be an
arbitrary IPC mechanism, just like VST's parameter setting function is not.

Sure, but since there has been no firm picture of the message/event model, all we can do is illustrate what we think it might tirn out to be, and only by analogy to other, older things.

I also dispute your statement that its unusual to have control change
'commands' (events, calls, or whatever) be isomorphic to parameter value
setting in any plugin system. In many systems its explicitly so, the only
difference here is that thier timestamped.

I agree with you, because that isn't what I meant. A control change command -is- parameter value setting. The distinction I was making is between parameter value setting (named in whatever way) and other kinds of command, like whatever the GMPI equivalent of note-on will be, or reset, etc.

> More pertinently, I see problems with the fundamental assumption that
plug P's state at arbitrary time T is always adequately represented
> by state of P's published parameters at T. ...

I understand your concern, but we have sustantial eveidence that it /does/
work (~200 LADSPA plugins). It doesnt really matter if the occasional
plugin doesnt use set(/some/path, val) to mean /some/path = val. In
practice it will stil be automated otherwise the control behaviour would
just be plain wierd in normal use.

?? -- My point there wasn't to do with the message model, it was about whether param state is a good enough proxy for true plug state. What's the link?

-- Chris G.