[gmpi] Re: 3.15 MIDI (What does it mean to be a plugin)

  • From: Steve Harris <S.W.Harris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2004 09:08:56 +0100

On Mon, Jun 21, 2004 at 07:49:28 -0400, Ron Kuper wrote:
> > And Ron, I'm waiting for an example of a MIDI-only plugin that can't be
> > wrapped ina GMPI plugin. :)
>
> Here's another thing that would be silly.  Imagine if the MIDI
> Manufacturer's Association came up with a music plugin spec that didn't
> support MIDI.  I can imagine the press release announcing the first
> universal music plugin format, featuring ... *no* MIDI.  And whose musical
> universe does that live in?  Not the one that makes money selling gear.

As far as the users are concerned it does use MIDI - MIDI goes in and MIDI
comes out - they couldn't care less if thier are actual MIDI bytes in
there or not.

However from the users point of view there are definate advantages, they
can use OSC (for eg.), externally only ofcourse, to control thier synths
and it will interoperate with the MIDI control and the mouse/control
surface control.