[gmpi] Re: 3.15 MIDI

  • From: Paul Davis <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2004 13:07:10 -0400

>Conversely, there are going to be vendors who want to "think" in MIDI.
>Perhaps they have legacy plugins that are built around MIDI byte
>streams, and they want to port them to MIDI.  For these reason we need
>some way for a GMPI plugin to receive raw MIDI messages.  Maybe we
>define "MIDI bytes" a a control signal data type?

i humbly suggest slightly the opposite as a compromise.

plugins should not be able to receive raw MIDI, because of the control
problem that this raises. but they should be able to generate raw
MIDI.

although MIDI is a h/w protocol, it is common to find software
generating the signals that end up on a wire used for such
protocols. i think there is nothing wrong with a plugin generating raw
MIDI and sending it somewhere.

alas, this just opens up a wider question.

on the one hand, we don't want to destroy the nice architecture of
having all plugin control be routed via the host. and this makes using
MIDI to control plugins directly a distinct no-no.

however, there are other kinds of control data that a plugin might
receive that could also lead it to do precisely what we do not want
MIDI to do: subvert the host control of parameter control. so sure, we
block MIDI (because that's what authors will want it for, 90%+ of the
time), but what if the plugin gets data from OSC, or a joystick, or a
USB control device?

this doesn't go anywhere that i think i want to go ...