[gmpi] Re: 3.15 MIDI

  • From: "Martijn Sipkema" <m.j.w.sipkema@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2004 14:46:08 +0100

> > No, that is not what I'm saying. Non-standard temperaments work just as
> > they do with a real piano, i.e. you tune the piano and play it. MIDI
just
> > transmits note on/off. I believe that in practice MIDI is good enough
and
> > if it isn't one may use some other protocol for exotic control purposes.
>
> Maybe I'm a bit ignorant, so please inform me on how you would do the
> following practical composition thing using MIDI:
> - I use a microtonal scale that has 47 "micronotes" per "octave"
> - I use 10 "octaves" in my music
> - I do pitch bends for each of these "micronotes" individually
> Sure, you can tune your synthesizer so that it uses 47 "micronotes" for 2
> (and a bit) octaves, but how will you address all these 470 notes when
MIDI
> only allows 128 note numbers? Or am I missing something here?

I didn't say you should use MIDI for this, and you probably shouldn't. From
the comments on this list one might conclude that these exotic musical
systems are very commonly used and a hard requirement, yet MIDI doesn't
support them and thus _no_ hardware synth does either. Alternate tunings
_are_supported though. Also, a perhaps slightly stupid comparison, but you
don't need an extraordinarily large keyboard to enter unicode text...

I don't see why there can't be another protocol (or several) besides MIDI
supported by GMPI to allow these use cases. What I do mean to say is:
should a successor to MIDI be decided here? Why not have a seperate
open discussion on the problems that MIDI might have and how these
can be resolved?

--ms