[gmpi] Re: 3.15 MIDI

  • From: Tim Hockin <thockin@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2004 15:47:13 -0700

On Thu, Jun 17, 2004 at 03:15:39PM -0700, Chris Grigg wrote:
> >I don't think that the opportunity that is missed is very significant.
>
> Then I don't understand at all what the proposed role of natural
> parameter units in GMPI is, can anyone explain it to me please?  This
> really is sounding like wanting to have a cake and eat it too.

Natural parameter ranges mean that you can set the range to something that
makes sense, rather than wedging it onto 0.0-1.0.

There are a limited number of well-known MIDI CCs (Volume, pan, etc.)  I
would suggest that we also have a set of well-known GMPI parameters (they
would be a superset of MIDI).

MIDI does not force your synthesizer to follow the suggested MIDI to dB
curve, right, but it is recommended.  GMPI should do the same.  We
recommend that IF you have a volume control, and IF you want to be
maximally compatible, THEN you should follow a well-known convention
(which would be decided MUCH later than today :)

Does that sound reasonable?  It doesn't force you to use any particular
curve or mapping for your volume control, but it urges you to be
compatible for everyone's good.  Just like MIDI.

If you REALLY want to set the unity volume on your synth to +6 dB, that's
perfectly allowable, but your users will have an unexpected surprise.

Natural ranges *really* apply to non-standard controls.  If I have a
"color" parameter that ranges from 1 to 6 (ROYGBV), then I can use those
numbers, and not have to map them to ranges between 0.0 and 1.0.

> >I think pitch is the sort of thing that does need a standardized meaning,
> >because it is used by standardized sub-systems like note control.
>
> Mix control's -not- a standardized sub system...?

My experience is different, I suppose.  My preferred host has a volume
knob on each instrument which applies before the mixer, so I really have
three (well, 4, in fact) gain stages:
 - instrument has it's own volume knob
 - host has a per-instrument volume
 - host has a per-instrument volume scalar
 - host has a per-mixer strip volume.

Whew!

> >I know it sounds hyppocritical to take both positions, but really, these
> >things are NOT standardized today.  I have heard people say "why is synthX
> >so much louder than synthY?"
>
> Yes, that's exactly why plug volumes -are- needed, as a trim.

I realized after I sent it that I guess most other hosts don't have those
extra gain stages :)