[gmpi] Re: 3.15 MIDI

  • From: Tim Hockin <thockin@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2004 00:10:10 -0700

On Thu, Jun 17, 2004 at 08:11:55AM +0100, Martijn Sipkema wrote:
> > If the GMPI graph can chase a tempo map of some kind, then I would
> > imagine chasing MIDI sync is pretty trivial. Since chasing a tempo map
> > is in the reqs (somewhere, right?), this is a done deal.
>
> I don't see why a tempo map is needed. Just pass the MIDI clock message
> on to the plugin indicating another 1/24 quarter note has passed. The time
> indicated by the MIDI clock message might not be related to the hosts
> musical time.

Martijn,

At this point, why are you calling your theoretical thing a GMPI plugin?
You'd be better off making it a standalone application which speaks MIDI.

GMPI is there exactly to take these things away from plugin developers.
Because it is software, we can do things that are very sijple for other
software to use.

You don't need to build MIDI clock tracking into every plugin because the
host does it for you and presents you with a simpler API.

You don't need to build MIDI parsing into every plugin because the host
does it for you and presents you with a simpler (and more robust) API.

By taking your ideas and making them into GMPI plugins, you might very
well have to give up some of the minute details that you could control if
you were processing PURE MIDI.  You give those minute aspects of control
up so that you can have simpler plugins with more features.

If you *REALLY* need to have raw MIDI clock, if you *REALLY* need to
know whether a messgae used running stat running status, if you *REALLY*
need to know the bandwidth of your control signal, or if you *REALLY* need
to know that message M was interrupted by realtime message P, then maybe
you aren't writing a GMPI plugin?  Why build a plugin API, if all you're
going to do is repeat the same work in every plugin?

Building a future with lots of flexibility means that you have to give up
the tiniest, most awkward bits of control.  And no one has convinced me
that any of those minute aspects that might be less-than-exact are really
important.

I think :)