[gmpi] Re: 3.15 MIDI

  • From: Paul Davis <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2004 03:05:07 -0400

>I know that Logic+AMT and Steinberg+LTB don't access the MIDI
>interfaces using the Windows MIDI API. Without information on these
>protocols I don't know if running-status is preserved...

all it takes is the presence of one MIDI merge "device" (be it
hardware or software) and a couple of active MIDI data streams: you
have to throw (at least some) running status away in order to maintain
semantics.

i can also tell you that MidiShare (a cross-platform inter-application
and hardware MIDI API) does not preserve running status. neither do
any of the *nix MIDI API's the deliver "events" (i.e. parsed MIDI) to
clients. my impression from the documentation is that this includes
CoreMidi, but i cannot be totally sure about that.

--p "one strawman at a time"