[gmpi] Re: 3.15 MIDI

  • From: Chris Grigg <gmpi-public@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2004 21:11:59 -0700

Paul said:

>other words, MIDI -transport- engineering needs to be more rigorous
than MIDI -application- engineering.  People who have been writing SW
plugins have their practical experience in the MIDI application area.
Whereas some of the MMA people have had practical experience in the
MIDI transport engineering area.  Thus the two different perspectives.

And hey, guess what? Find a plugin that needs MIDI Machine Control, let alone can actually use it. Find a plugin that syncs to MIDI Clock Sync rather than the host tempo map (that might be too easy, I am not sure :) Find a plugin that understands MIDI Show Control (hell, find me a *host* that does!) Find a plugin that can generate sync-able MIDI Time code (i.e. 1 qtr frame message delivered on the nose every 6.4 msec). Find a plugin that can use MIDI Time Code.

Guess what? Plugins don't do this stuff. Hosts do. Hosts are free to
do whatever they want with MIDI.

Sure, but I'm not quite sure what the relevance of that is. The discussion about preserving byte accuracy in the MIDI stream is predicated in large part on being able to transform the stream and then send it back out into the studio as HW MIDI. So just because SW plugs aren't doing something isn't an argument against the need to transport it faithfully, as many, many, many HW MIDI devices do things plugs customarily don't.

Also this is not limited to MMA specs like show control, MMC, MTC, etc., there are very very oddball systems out there with very unexpected non-standard behaviors linked to the defined MIDI 1.0 messages.

-- Chris G.