[gmpi] Re: 3.15 MIDI

  • From: Chris Grigg <gmpi-public@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2004 19:45:06 -0700

Paul said:

Moreover, in general, there are very few current DAW host+plugin
systems where the MIDI output would ever match the input byte-for-byte
even if the plugins did nothing to them. If the native MIDI API didn't
transmogrify the byte stream, the host will in order to route/merge
data to/from different plugins.

1. Can you provide some support for that please? Cases where specific DAWs are known to do specific transformations of incoming MIDI.

2. Sorry to repeat, but even if that were true, 'is not done today' is not a strong argument for 'is not needed tomorrow'.

What matters are not byte-level correspondence, but semantic
correspondence, and this is easily achievable.

I'm not at all sure that's a true statement. The world would be a cleaner, nicer place if it were true, but that doesn't make it any truer.

Byte-exactness is a very good goal. The MMA and many companies have worked long and hard to achieve it in the new MIDI alternate transport protocols. In RTP MIDI in particular we had to spend a lot of time with the RFC author before he eventually saw and appreciated the wisdom of literal MIDI message transmission. As I've been trying to get across, in actual practice, MIDI is not as simple as it appears some folks here would prefer it to be.

-- Chris G.