[gmpi] Re: 3.15 MIDI

  • From: Paul Davis <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2004 20:07:34 -0400

>Therefore
>> is is not exactly the original byte stream.
>
>Now that I think about it, The Windows mutimedia API discards running
>status, before my application sees it.  So does the VST API.
>
>Running status isn't important.

Moreover, in general, there are very few current DAW host+plugin
systems where the MIDI output would ever match the input byte-for-byte
even if the plugins did nothing to them. If the native MIDI API didn't
transmogrify the byte stream, the host will in order to route/merge
data to/from different plugins.

What matters are not byte-level correspondence, but semantic
correspondence, and this is easily achievable.

--p