[gmpi] Re: 3.15 MIDI

  • From: Paul Davis <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2004 19:24:28 -0400

>[...]
>> Again, as I pointed out earlier, if the GMPI to MIDI translation is
>> adequate, plugins that so desire may translate GMPI back to MIDI internally.
>>
>> I see no requirement for the GMPI protocol to send MIDI formatted data to
>> plugins.
>
>If the GMPI to MIDI translation is adequate then the only difference is
>in the exact encoding, i.e. it would break things in the automation/undo just
>like a MIDI byte stream port would.

this, is getting incredibly tiresome!

MIDI devices translate to/from MIDI every millisecond of their
operation, today, right here, right now. its not MIDI that causes the
chips in my Kawai K5000 to generate audio, and its not MIDI that is
generated when I press its keys or turn its knobs. its not MIDI that
causes the volume level to rise when i send it a CC#7 message. its not
MIDI anywhere except between the DIN connectors on the back of the
unit and the software/firmware that actual drives the DSP/keyboard
scanner etc.

please, please, please stop insinuating that its "hard" to go back and
forth between MIDI and some other protocol. its not. we do it all the
time, today. none of your MIDI equipment would work if we didn't.

--p