[gmpi] Re: 3.15 MIDI

  • From: "gogins@xxxxxxxxxxxx" <gogins@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2004 14:38:30 -0400

I should add to my earlier response, I would not like adding some NEW
MESSAGES to carry floats; I would only accept enlarging the fields of the
existing messages and adding timestamps and IDs.  I would even lay them out
as similarly as possible (ignore the lengths):

+----+-----------+--------+---------+-------+-------+----
| ID | Timestamp | Status | Channel | Data1 | Data2 | ...
+----+-----------+--------+---------+-------+-------+----

ID and timestamp would be longs. ID would be a count by order of receipt
starting from 0. Timestamp would be a count of sample frames starting from
the beginning of the "score" whatever that is.

Status and channel would be ints (usable for new message IDs and more
channels). In other words, current MIDI status 0x90 would not be the
high-order nybble of the status byte any more. It would just be a message
ID. Many more new message IDs would be available. The upper half of the
range could be NRPN-like -- assignable by users. Channels could go from 0
up to the whole int.

Data would be floats.