[gmpi] Re: 3.15 MIDI

  • From: "Martijn Sipkema" <m.j.w.sipkema@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2004 15:40:25 +0100

> I don't know how to reconcile these two sentences:

> >One should normally assume the 320 usec per byte.

If the data rate for a given connection is not known, then assume 320 usec per
byte, e.g. where the operating system doesn't provide this information in the
MIDI API.

> And then:
>
> >a slower wire). A MIDI processing plugin would most likely accept only
> >an input and output of the same rate.
>
> There is no "rate". Can you tell me of any MIDI API, anywhere on any
> platform, that supports the notion of any data rate other than the
> serial protocol?

No, and that probably has to do with the fact that until recently MIDI hardware
only supported a single rate. In fact, I think MIDI over IEEE1394 allows
faster rates in a future revision, but it will require this rate to be
negotiated.
Software can easily support higher rates for controlling a software instrument
and thus the plugin API should allow determining the MIDI rate.
If a plugin that outputs MIDI knows it has a high data rate available it might
send more CCs, possibly with higher resolution.

--ms