[gmpi] Re: 3.15 MIDI

  • From: "gogins@xxxxxxxxxxxx" <gogins@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2004 08:19:21 -0400

A great deal of music these days is performed using digital audio editors,
for exactly the reasons that I and BT have brought up.

There is no such thing as a _practical_ limit on voices. There is a limit,
or there isn't. Someone will ALWAYS push the limit.

Granular synthesis always involves sample-frame accurate timing and
frequently requires stacks of hundreds of simultaneous grains. As I found by
experiment, MIDI can't control this. Period.

Art is no democracy, it is a meritocracy. I prefer a tolerant meritocracy
where I can be a musician and other people who disagree with me can also be
musicians, to an intolerant meritocracy where you can be a musician, but I
cannot be a musician or I have to be a musician in a technical ghetto
because you refuse to support my technical requirements.

If you have software that you need to keep using that has much work invested
in MIDI manipulations, then GMPI's host MIDI API library that will be used
by hosts to translate MIDI streams to GMPI streams going into plugins should
also be usable within plugins for translating GMPI streams back into MIDI.
Would that be acceptable to you? If my suggestions on GMPI message semantics
are followed, and word semantics are similar to MIDI anyway, these
translations should be extremely efficient.