[gmpi] Re: 3.15 MIDI

  • From: "Martijn Sipkema" <m.j.w.sipkema@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2004 14:03:21 +0100

> > Allthough you'd be able to process the message only after receiving it,
> > you'd
> > want to timestamp the start of the first byte since that is when it was
> > generated.
>
> That wont play well with MIDI outputs that run at a different data rate
> than inputs. I think you have to timestamp the end, or come up with
> some way of padding out faster outputs and compressing slower ones.

I think the data rate should be a property of a MIDI connection as in the
MIDI over IEEE1394 specification. So the plugin knows how long it
takes to transmit one MIDI byte.

In general there is nothing that can be done about the transmssion time
of a MIDI command and quite often there are situations where you can
not schedule transmssion in advance, such as with MIDI clock sync.

If the transmission rate is known the end of the message can be estimated
using its start time. I know that on SGI systems the timestamp for a MIDI
message (or any byte on a serial line) is the start, so it might be a good
idea to stick to that convention. You'd also timestamp an audio buffer
by giving the time for the first sample.

--ms