[gmpi] Re: 3.15 MIDI

  • From: "Jeff McClintock" <jeffmcc@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2004 20:28:12 +1200

> This model allows us to support MIDI2 should it ever come about.

OSC *is* MIDI2   (just most people don't "get it" yet... "There's no note-on
command?")

> What about OSC for everything.  That got shot down - why?

  GMPI, so far, is OSC-like in some ways.  I just figured we had to examine
one aspect at a time (parameter naming, datatypes etc), as they came up,
rather than accept all of OSC at once.
  I figured at the end of the requirements, we may decide "hey, we made all
the same design choices as OSC", or mayby "we took the good bits of OSC, and
added a few more (but we still maintained great interoperability with OSC)"

So, don't rule it out yet, see how we go...

Jeff