[gmpi] Re: 3.15 MIDI

  • From: "Jeff McClintock" <jeffmcc@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2004 18:42:48 +1200

> >Also the pitch bends per "micronote"?
> For that, the easiest way woud be to use one channel per note and use
> the MIDI pitchbend message.

> In this kind of situation, I'd think about
> Csound again for this class of composition.

Well,
 Koan and Mr Grogins might be non-mainstream musicians, but their issues
apply equally to others, especially guitarists and other stringed
instruments.  They can't be dismissed as a minority. They've been shut out
for too long.
  I've tried many times to simulate realistic guitar playing over MIDI.
Sure, I can assign each string a different MIDI channel, then spend hours
shuffling the MIDI data onto separate tracks, editing pitch-bends by hand,
but in the end it becomes just too time consuming, too much hassle.  Just
because it's posible, don't make it practical.

If this was some huge, insurmountable problem, I'm sure we'd understand it
wasn't possible.  But the solution is easy, extend MIDI note-on parameters
to floating point (via GMPI parameters).
  It's easy, it's clean, it's backward compatible.

Jeff