[gmpi] Re: 3.15 MIDI

  • From: Chris Grigg <gmpi-public@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2004 16:10:51 -0700

Michael said:

One thing I'm not sure we've adequately discussed is voice allocation. Does
the host API handle this, or the host, or the plugin itself using a plugin
API, or the plugin however it can (as with VST now)? I guess the note ID
idea implies that the host manages voice allocation -- that the host
instantiates a new instance of a voice for each new note, using a plugin
clone method, or just resetting all parameters, or something. That would be
fine, I think.

Yes, I asked about this before. I don't like the idea that the host would always have to be in control of voice allocation decisions, I think these have to be left to the plug-in. Tim explained an idea I liked whereby the note-ids that the host uses to communicate with the plug are for addressing only, and the plug gets to internally associate whatever voice(s) it wants to a given received note-id. I think that leaves better freedom for innovation in plugs.

-- Chris G.