[gmpi] Re: 3.15 MIDI

  • From: "Tom White" <twhite@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2004 16:04:05 -0700

> Who said all music is humanly performed? Are you still living in the
> twentieth century? Most music these days is assembled using software.
> ..
> You may not understand this, but by denying technical validity to my
> musical requirements you are saying it's fine with you if my
> instruments are crippled.
> It is not nice, it is not polite, and it will not work to deprecate
> someone's work or tools because it is "not normal" or "unusual".

I can agree that most music is assembled using software, but even
then it is generally capable of being played by humans. Certainly you
can set the benchmark for MIDI at an uncommon level if you like. But
that doesn't make your level any more "right" than anyone else's.
MIDI isn't inadequate... it's just inadequate for some things some
people want to do. (There is a significant difference).

> I currently work in the Csound community where this kind of
> thing is perfectly routine, and everyone already understands
> these issue; but it's a small community, with a small output
> of music. I'd prefer to be part of a bigger community with
> more resources and a larger output of music -- if I don't
> have to give up capabilities.

Sure, it would be nice if MIDI could do even more... and I don't
recall anyone suggesting that GMPI should be limited to MIDI's own
limitations.

What I heard proposed is that the group needs to consider MIDI as
a control protocol. I agree that should be discussed.

I don't think that discussion requires participants to identify
all the reasons they believe MIDI is inadequate.

- Tom White