[gmpi] Re: 3.15 MIDI

  • From: "Tom White" <twhite@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2004 14:01:29 -0700

> > how will you address all these 470 notes when MIDI only
> > allows 128 note numbers? Or am I missing something here?

Well, since you asked, I suppose one answer would be that since
no one makes a 470 note keyboard (nor likely ever will) there
is really no reason to wonder how you would address 470 notes
through MIDI or anything else (other than software).

On the other hand, if you really wanted to do it, MIDI supports
128 notes per Channel, so to address 470-notes you'd just need
to use 4 Channels. Actually, since you're going to want to
actually play this thing, you'll need 5 88-note keyboards (each
on their own Channel), or some number more if you use 73-note
or 61-note keyboards. Point being, you *could* do this with MIDI,
so yes, you are missing something <g>.

- Tom White