[gmpi] Re: 3.14 UIs

  • From: Tim Hockin <thockin@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 7 Jun 2004 10:10:12 -0700

On Sun, Jun 06, 2004 at 09:25:40PM -0400, Paul Davis wrote:
> the issue is not how the GUI was constructed. the issue is how the
> proposed "remote GUI (mini) host" communicates with the host running
> the DSP. the GUI can be written in klingon to run on Plan 9 from Outer
> Space for all i care ... if the remote GUI (mini) host for that
> platform uses OSC (or some other defined protocol) to communicate with
> the host running the DSP, everything is good.

If the host provides it's own RGH (mini-host), then GMPI doesn't need to
address it at all.

While it makes a lot of sense to say OSC, it's not up to us to design the
host for people.  If Steinberg wants to make their RGH be OSC, then any
OSC app can talk to Cubase.  That's good, but it's a HOST FEATURE.

If EmApple make Logic and Logic's RGH speak some other protocol, then that
is up to them.

If we say that it must be OSC, we're forcing that design decision on every
host that wants a remote gui.  BUt that decision has nothing to do with
the plugin API, it's an inter-host API.

GMPI is strictly INTRA-host.

I think that is my position.  I could be swayed...