[gmpi] Re: 3.14 UIs

  • From: Steve Harris <S.W.Harris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 5 Jun 2004 09:36:28 +0100

On Sat, Jun 05, 2004 at 02:29:07 +1200, Jeff McClintock wrote:
> >... nothing will even be as efficient as using a defined function
> > call interface for the DSP/GUI communication. so there is going to be
> > a tradeoff here.
>
> I agree with your analysis, but there may be a 3rd option....with no
> tradeoff.
>
> a) host-initiated in-process GUI
>
> -   host loads shared object
> -   GUI/host communication via a defined function call interface
> (setParameter() etc)
>
> No performance penalty.  No complex code. Easy as VST.

I think your probably overestimating the overhead of UDP IPC, given that
the UI is most likly going to draw something on the screen as a consequnce
the overhead from the IPC is unmeasurable in comparison.

> b) out of process or remote GUI
>
> - mini-host loads shared object
> - mini host connects to well-known socket on host(+machine)
> - mini host forwards setParameter() calls to 'real' host via network or IPC

I guess "mini-host loads shared object" is a typo? At least for OSC you
cant use a well known port, because only one host can be using that port.
In DSSI the UI is started with the URL of the host as its first argument.

> -inter-process communication method is interchangeable.  You could use TCP
> on Linux and sockets on Win32 ( hypothetical examples). You could use OSC.

OSC can use names sockets, UDP, TCP as its transport. I think named
sockets were earliest, but people tend to only use UDP now.