[gmpi] Re: 3.14 UIs

  • From: Paul Davis <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 04 Jun 2004 12:41:53 -0400

>> VST gives you Windows to draw into.  DirectX gives you optional property
>> sheets.  Both of these designed have factored the GUI off pretty
>> cleanly.  I would advocate we do the same for GMPI.
>
>I'm not sure thats factored off, it doesnt allow the UI to run on another
>machine, and it encourages platform-specific code in a big way (the UI
>handles will be platform specific).

so lets see. on the one hand, we have the push for "just let people do
what they are used to", and on the other "the old way doesn't work for
render farms or just simple server/GUI engine splits etc. and a more
general model is needed".

by *forcing* DSP/GUI separation (i.e. its not possible to assume a
shared address space) we ensure that plugins will work on a given
configuration of a particular platform. but we also ensure that its
harder for the developer because of the address space separation.

by *not forcing* DSP/GUI separation, we ensure that 95%+ of all
plugins will continue to "do it the old way".

what's a forward thinking person to do?

--p