[gmpi] Re: 3.14 UIs

  • From: Steve Harris <S.W.Harris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 4 Jun 2004 11:12:02 +0100

On Fri, Jun 04, 2004 at 11:17:52 +1200, Jeff McClintock wrote:
> > Yes, thats completly reasonable, DSSI does all that over OSC (except save
> > and restore, but expect it could be done too) http://dssi.sourceforge.net/
>
> That's interesting. Looks good.

I should point out that its in early stages, there are only 4 or 5 synths
ported / developed, so I think its too early to tell if theres any nasty
corner cases, and were still working in the fine points of the spec. Shows
promise though.

> Is the main difficulty with hosting GUIs on Linux, that the Host and Plugin
> might use different X-Toolkits?.  Hence is it better to run the GUI in a
> seperate process?

Its certainly easier if you only have one toolkit per process, but its not
an absolute requirement. The reasons for wanting to run UIs in another
process are also philosophical. The extra modularity is nice and it means
users can drop in thier own UIs if they prefer (eg. for terminal
controllers, control surfaces or things like pd).