[gmpi] Re: 3.14 UIs

  • From: Mike Berry <mberry@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 02 Jun 2004 09:47:41 -0600

Paul Davis wrote:

yes, that is true. i agree that we cannot mandate that developers
always release N versions of their plugins. but we are willing for the
DSP side to strongly encourage, perhaps even require platform neutral
code. we seem much less willing to do so for the GUI, even though it
has been noted that for many plugins these days, the GUI is required
to be able to use the plugin effectively.

i don't understand what we are trying to achieve with that double standard.

I never agreed to requiring that the DSP be written platform neutral. How would you possibly enforce it? How would authors test it? So I don't see any double standard. We are writing all of the API to be platform neutral. We are not providing a DSP toolkit, and we are not providing a GUI toolkit. Toolkits of both types are available. If authors want to be platform neutral, great. If not, they have their reasons. We should not prevent nor require either course.

-- Mike Berry Adobe Systems