[gmpi] Re: 3.14 UIs

  • From: Paul Davis <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 01 Jun 2004 22:29:08 -0400

>Sure, OK if you only care about supporting custom GUI on one of the
>platforms that can run your DSP binary. I meant 'each platform where
>you want to put up a custom GUI'

we host the win32/x86 "custom GUI" on linux too, you know :)

believe it or not, you can even compile a source-code-available plugin
written for win32/x86 and run it on linux/PPC using wine!

>But aren't there two orthogonal problems?:
>
>1) How do the DSP interface of the plug-in and the GUI interface of
>the plug-in communicate with each other?  This is where the question
>of host-mediated control protocol vs. direct function calls comes in.
>(I fully agree the message-based approach is really really nice, this
>was my original idea before GMPI discussions started, I just wanted
>to get some reassurance this was good enough for everyone.)

"good enough" is almost a surety. "easy enough to use that everyone
will" ... thats a different issue.

>2) How does the GUI interface of the plug-in draw pictures in the
>window and process mouse/kbd events?  This is where the question of
>native-window-handle vs. GMPI-specified-crossplat-GUI-lib comes in.
>
>You can go either way with either choice... right?   And neither is
>related to cases like Plugzilla or Muse where the box is going to put
>up a generic GUI... right?

for plugzilla, sure. for muse, i am not so sure. they seem to
entertain the idea of having a monitor on the system more overtly than
the plugzilla guys.

but indeed, these are the two key choices, and yes, they are mostly
orthogonal to each other. i think you have stated them well.

--p