[gmpi] Re: 3.14 UIs

  • From: Tim Hockin <thockin@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 13 Jun 2004 18:45:56 -0700

On Sun, Jun 13, 2004 at 06:02:29PM -0700, Chris Grigg wrote:
> I'm not so comfortable with "4.30 Out of Process UIs" as presently drafted:
>
> That seems unnecessarily journalistic about the discussion, and the
> section title is I think kind of not quite the point of the meaning,

The title is easy to change.  I was intentionally verbose, because I did
not want to short-hand either position.

> "4.30 UI - DSP Communication
>
> GMPI should use a single, message-oriented mechanism for
> communication between the DSP plug-in and any and all of its UIs.
> This makes it easy to control the DSP in many interchangeable ways:
> UIs automatically built by the host, custom GUI code modules provided
> by the plug vendor, physical and virtual remote control surfaces,
> etc.  This messaging mechanism should be designed to work well for
> all these cases.  It is assumed that within a given host, the
> detailed design of the message transport mechanism is up to the host.

This pre-supposes that we're considering support for remote anything.

> However, the GMPI requirements groups was not able to come to
> agreement on whether, for remote UI cases, the GMPI spec should cover
> the inter-machine message transport mechanism, versus whether this
> too should be left to the discretion of host developers. The GMPI
> design and implementation teams should revisit this issue."

It's more than inter-machine, it's anything outside the GMPI host.  The
debate is not just about network, but about out-of-proc UIs, too.

Yours is shorter and less wordy, but I don't know that it is any more
correct.  I agree that this section could be cleaned up, though.

We haven't really made a requirement for a message-oriented DSP/UI
protocol, have we?  We've just decided it probably makes sense, but it's
really beyond the requirements.  The requirements are alreay overly
detailed.  Th ereason for the long-winded expansion on this was, in short,
we talked a lot about it and we didn't decide.

hrrrm..