[gmpi] Re: 3.14 UIs

  • From: Chris Grigg <gmpi-public@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2004 12:13:41 -0700

It could be that all UIs (internal and external to a process) use OSC.  If
someone had a well-thought out proposal for and OSC dictionary, it might
well be usable as the GMPI-internal UI->DSP and DSP->UI mechanism.

And from there, it is a small step for hosts to add remote control via OSC.

I have no objection to taking such an approach. However I think we should not be quite so loose about saying we'd be 'using OSC' per se -- if I'm understanding correctly, the proposal would be to use just the parameter address format part of OSC. We would be leaving out the whole transport protocol part of OSC. And we would be adding a significant piece of stuff not currently contained in OSC by developing our own parameter dictionary. So -- again, if I understand correctly -- this is more about creating a hybrid than it is about using OSC outright.

This, I guess, makes it easier for people to write adaptors to get to/from pure OSC, which is fine. But there may also be some design side issues that make use of pure OSC as the remote-host-control protocol, for example it wasn't clear to me that the sender of an OSC message is different from the synchronous caller of an API function because it can't get a return value or even verification that the message was received and handled, or when. People who actually know something about OSC should comment on that, I guess.

-- Chris G.