[gmpi] Re: 3.14 UIs

  • From: Tim Hockin <thockin@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2004 00:28:25 -0700

On Mon, Jun 07, 2004 at 07:47:04PM -0500, Jack O'Quin wrote:
> > If we define a simple UI->DSP API that is "message-centric", then it will
> > be easy to add remote capabilities.  Some hosts won't want to.  Anything
> > related to "remote UI" is really HOST SPECIFIC.
>
> That's one solution.  I'm just trying to point out that it is
> technically inferior to a solution that includes a documented protocol
> for driving *any* compliant plugin from *any* compliant UI.

I agree completely that we can do a wonderful protocol, I still think
it's not ours to do.  OSC exists.  Any host which wants to allow
OSC remote control can do it today.  Piggy-backing this on top of GMPI is
not going to help GMPI nor will it help OSC, I think.

> > My point is that we are not here to be definign remote-plugin APIs
> > *unless* that is a core feature of GMPI.
>
> My view is that it *should* be.  If those with political power shoot
> it down, that's beyond my control.  But, GMPI will be less than it
> could have been if they do.

My point is that OSC already exists.  If it hasn't taken off on it's own
merits, then ladening GMPI with it is not going to help our cause - which
is a cross-platform IN-PROCESS plugin API.

Further, if we *did* decide that OSC (or something) is the remote control
API, then why are we spending so much time on GMPI?   Just mandate that
same API for all plugins and be done with it.  We can provide some simple
API for plumbing audio data, and the rest is done.

Anyway, I've updated the req's doc.  Everyone please look over section
3.14 and the associated "More info..." sections.  Let me know if I did not
capture it properly, or if there is something else that should be said.

http://www.gmpi-plugins.org/gmpi/requirements.php#sec_3.14

Tim