[gmpi] Re: 3.14 UIs

  • From: Paul Davis <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 07 Jun 2004 17:31:06 -0400

>And knowing EmApple, they will *NOT* be happy about this.  They will then
>get a thousand phone calls about this-or-that weird UI not working.

Look, the 800lb and 400lb gorilla's of the little niche we're in are
not happy about any of this already. Digidesign has completely
declined to participate in this process; Apple have gone as far as
saying "good luck, but we pretty much did this for CoreAudio and we
don't want to do it again" (I am more or less quoting verbatim).

>If we require remote UI to be a specific protocol, then they will not use
>it.  Worse, they'll do one of their own that runs on supported mini-hosts,
>with supported OSes with supported plugins.

We can't stop them from doing this ever. Whether we specify something
or not, vendors are free to do whatever they want. They can't call it
GMPI, but there's no really difference between either scenario -
either we define the GMPI RUH-DH protocol, or we don't, and either
way, vendors do their own thing.

But whatever, I understand the politics of all this. Leave the RUH/DH
protocol to host vendors.

Exactly who is going to write the DH that runs on those cheap render
farm nodes that the entertainment industry loves more and more each
day, well, we'll just leave that minor detail to the gods.

--p