[gmpi] Re: 3.14 UIs

  • From: Steve Harris <S.W.Harris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 7 Jun 2004 19:01:33 +0100

On Mon, Jun 07, 2004 at 01:36:39 -0400, Paul Davis wrote:
> I rephrase my comment. I believe that we should require that remote GUI
> communication to use a particular protocol, allowing full
> interoperability.

I still think said protocol should be used for in-process UIs too. There
is little overhead difference between:

1) making an API call which places an update message in a ringbuffer to
   be read by the DSP thread

2) pushing an IPC packet into a named pipe / fifo / whatever, to be read
   by the DSP thread

As evidence I point to the X11 system, where all calls the server (the bit
that actually draws stuff) are sent over a local socket, and most high
performance graphics workstations run X11. GMPI UI data is much higher
level, and hence lower bandwidth than X11 graphics instructions.