[gmpi] Re: 3.12 wrap-up

  • From: "Jeff McClintock" <jeffmcc@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 20 May 2004 10:23:07 +1200

> Something that does matter (I think), is that it says that the host is
> responsible for doing the mapping. I'm just wondering: won't there be
cases
> where it would make more sense for the receiving plugin to do decide on
the
> mapping depending on what it is receiving from?

Hi Koen,
My preference is no.  If my plugin has a parameter that ranges from (for
example) 0 to 10, then that's what i want to receive.
  I don't want to recieve different range and have to map it myself.  I
don't want to have to write a bunch of if-else statements to handle
conversions from any arbitary type either.

I would prefer the conversion to be external.  SynthEdit handles this type
of thing via seperate plugins.  i.e. there is a "Float to Bool" plugin, and
a "Float to Text" plugin, which has options like "Number of Decimal Places".

The fact is, conversions are rare, and when you do need to convert, it's
nice to have a pre-written object with plenty of options.

My feeling is that the need to convert parameter types is more relevant in
modular hosts anyhow, and not really a concern for the mainstream.

Best Regards,
Jeff