[gmpi] Re: 3.12 Control I/O

  • From: Tim Hockin <thockin@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 17 May 2004 14:16:32 -0700

On Mon, May 17, 2004 at 01:30:34PM -0700, Chris Grigg wrote:
> >    Parameters must be able to receive events from multiple senders. The
> >    host must handle the...
>
> Insert "...routing and..."?

done.  good addition.

> >I'm not sure what to do with current #58
>
> Recast it as a recommendation to use normalized numbers for
> continuously variable parameters instead of anything else (perceptual

Without deciding an implementation, I just want to make it known (I think)
this feature is a must-have.

> units etc.) where possible?  Param-setting msgs intended to drive
> normalized ranges could be flagged as such in the msg structure;
> params set up to accept normalized value ranges could be flagged as
> such in the param description stuff ('metadata' being one possible
> implementation of same).

I want to also make it clear that these normalized outputs can be tied to
naturalized inputs.  I don't know if this warrants a whole different
mechanism or not.  What I mean is:  Think of these controller plugins like
MIDI controllers.  They can control any knob, and something must do the
mapping of normalized range (0-127 in MIDI, 0.0 to 1.0 native?) to
whatever the receiver's range is.

I'm beginning to think that these controller plugins don't just use a
parameter-out, since there is so much metadata and routing that needs to
be handled.  Maybe the indicate to the host that they have a controller
output and the host is responsible for treating it like a MIDI controller
or whatever.

This lets us have much higher resolution (sample rate, if we want) for
controller plugins which can control just about anything.

The topic "Control I/O" now has 1 requirement, and that requirement is
dubious under that heading.  Maybe the heading should be "Controller
Plugins" or this req should just be somewhere else?

Should I update the "More..." section to include these further thoughts?

> >(side note - I am unemployed for a couple weeks, so I'll try to have a lot
> >of free time :)
>
> Treasure that time, it's rare.

I'm going to see my mom and family - it's been too long. :)  Ahh, lazy
days.