[gmpi] Re: 3.12 Control I/O

  • From: Chris Grigg <gmpi-public@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 17 May 2004 13:30:34 -0700

On Tue, May 11, 2004 at 04:51:00PM -0700, Chris Grigg wrote:
 So -- to stick with the existing terminology before we try to improve
 it -- there are parameter-setting event messages flying around in the
 graph, and they travel only on paths that terminate at control I/O
 ports, and after arriving at a given plug's given control I/O port,
 the messages get split out to parameter destinations based on the
 (probably OSC-style) parameter ID tag?  Is that the idea?

Something like that. Control IO is the general name for events in and events out.

I think current Req #57 can be moved into 3.11 with the following
rewording:

    Parameters must be able to receive events from multiple senders. The
    host must handle the...

Insert "...routing and..."?

...merging of events.

I'm not sure what to do with current #58

Recast it as a recommendation to use normalized numbers for continuously variable parameters instead of anything else (perceptual units etc.) where possible? Param-setting msgs intended to drive normalized ranges could be flagged as such in the msg structure; params set up to accept normalized value ranges could be flagged as such in the param description stuff ('metadata' being one possible implementation of same).

(side note - I am unemployed for a couple weeks, so I'll try to have a lot
of free time :)

Treasure that time, it's rare.

-- Chris G.