[gmpi] Re: 3.12 Control I/O

  • From: "Koen Tanghe" <koen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 19 May 2004 02:04:22 +0200

On Tuesday, May 18, 2004 5:57 AM [GMT+1=CET],
Chris Grigg <xxxgmpi-public@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Maybe we can just address this with really simple requirements
> language along these lines?:
>
> "It should be possible for any source of parameter-setting events
> (for continuous controls only) to properly drive any target parameter
> in the graph, irrespective of any differences between source and
> destination natural value ranges.  In other words, conversion to and
> from normalized values must be possible and should be simple to
> implement.  Design of this feature are expected to make use of the
> source and destination value range metadata."
>
> Does this do the job?

I think it does, yes.

One thing though: why "continuous controls only"? I know that's what makes
sense. But maybe I would like to attach the output of a pitch tracker or
envelope follower (continuous control) to a parameter having a discrete set
of values? OTOH, you probably want to do some custom mapping in between
anyway, so maybe this should be done by an intermediate "remapper" plugin?
(just thinking out loud now)

Koen