[gmpi] Re: 3.11 topic: Multi-timbrality and parameters

  • From: Tim Hockin <thockin@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2004 11:39:51 -0700

On Wed, Apr 28, 2004 at 10:14:39AM -0700, Chris Grigg wrote:
> Thanks for clarifying your thinking on connection mechanics, David.
> But that seems orthogonal to how parameter IDs work, and would work
> just as well if there were slots.  I still think all this string-fu
> is messier than it needs to be, so actually I guess I think it could
> work better.  So can you provide a pointer to the OSC parameter
> string format spec, for a closer look?

That string-fu is very similar to OSC.  I think David has a good point
that you only need to do the string-fu at config-time (including
reconfig). You can use the names to group and hash the actual parameter
info into a simple structure.  This presupposes that plugins will receive
events on seperated queues, or something.

Details we need not worry about for now.

> So far I like the 1D indexed 'modular' approach Tim and I separately
> arrived at.  My gut tells me 80% of plugs will be 1-slot, so only use
> index 0, and 80% of the rest will use n-channel designs so the 1D
> system with identical param lists will work OK for them,

I agree with that analysis.

> and the 80%
> of the rest will be expressible as n-slot designs with different
> param lists.

This is what I called 'modules' and it was already more-or-less shot down.
It adds a small amount of complexity for every plugin to accommodate a
very small set of truly modular plugins.  I think it is very engineer-ish
and I like it, but I am not convinced it is necessary to go this extra
step.

It also does not map perfectly onto MIDI channels, whereas the "array of
identical channels" does. I'm inclined to think that this is enough.

The remaining plugins can fall back on the grouping mechanism and a
dynamic parameter list.