[gmpi] Re: 3.11 topic: Inter-parameter linkages

  • From: Steve Harris <S.W.Harris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 10 Apr 2004 22:44:22 +0100

On Sat, Apr 10, 2004 at 06:18:18 -0700, Tim Hockin wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 10, 2004 at 01:42:37PM +0100, Steve Harris wrote:
> > On Fri, Apr 09, 2004 at 06:27:47 -0700, Tim Hockin wrote:
> > > Second off, who hates this idea, and why?  I think that we DO need to
> > > support internal changes, and they DO need to be reflected in GUIs.  If
> > > you
> > > hate my thinking, please convince me otherwise :)
> >
> > Corner case: what happens if one UI is controlling two plugins (eg. mono
> > plugin, stereo track, common case) and the two plugins both update a
> > parameter to different values (eg. for randomise). How can the host and UI
> > deal with that? How/will it propagate the change to the other plugin(s)?
>
> ?? I'm totally lost on how this could happen and NOT be problematic.  If
> there are two destinations for a signal, say a MIDI fader, and one of the
> destinations gets changed by some other means, there IS a proble.

But unless the plugin is free to change its inputs there are no other
means by which it can be changed - the parameter changes are all
marshalled through the host otherwise.

> If I route a motorized MIDI fader X to param A and to param B, then change
> X, A and B will change.  Cool.  But if I then change B from the GUI or b
> host automation, but I do not change A - what happens?

Motorised faders are a UI, so i dont see how this is relevent. Only hosts
that allow you to bind one UI control to two parameters need to solve this.

> This problem is a generic UI feedback problem.  Always has been.  Are you
> advocating NOT having feedback to the UIs at all?

Of course not.

> > I'd be a lot happier that this is a problem that should be solved if there
> > was a real use case.
>
> again, morphing.  Solve it.  Explain step by step how I can trigger a morph
> by pressing C1 on my MIDI keyboard and have the motorized faders move
> properly.

What motorised faders? What are you expecting them to do? I've got the
very strong impression that when you say maorph you're thinking of
something very different to me, I'm thinking of, for e.g. Clavia's VA
synths. There morph is a (set of) continuously variable control(s) -
theres no start and stop - I cant think what you would want that for,
surely thats just smooth preset/program transitions?