[gmpi] Re: 3.11 topic: Inter-parameter linkages

  • From: Steve Harris <S.W.Harris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 10 Apr 2004 22:26:42 +0100

On Sat, Apr 10, 2004 at 10:11:59 -0700, Tim Hockin wrote:
> > so, anything happens to the proxy will be properly relayed to the
> > hidden plugins. but if you set things up so that the individual
> > plugins can spontaneously change their parameters in undefined ways
> > (e.g. randomization), then this can't work - we end up with a set of
> > hidden plugins in different states, which violates the semantics we
> > are trying to honor.
>
> Right.  Don't do that.  It doesn't make any sense.  There are some things
> that just can't work together.  Doing this with mono plugins is more or less
> a hack, IMHO.  GMPI should make it easy to make that mono plugin be N
> channels in parallel, where N is runtime defined.  If that is hard, we've
> screwed up GMPI.  BUt assuming that hosts continue to do this, then yes,
> using DSP-centric randomization WILL break.  I don't consider that a flaw.

That thing that doesnt make sense is that the plugin can change its own
inputs - it just messes up the whole communications model and introduces
the possibility of feedback loops, wierd corner cases and who-knows what
else.

This situation is perfectly reasonable, and deterministic, as long as we
dont allow plugins to change thier own inputs. If it is the case that
plugin changing thier inputs is a real requirement then we will have to
work round this somehow.

> > and yes, for many effects, this kind of thing is horribly broken
> > because to do M channels correctly is entirely different from N*x
> > channels. but for many others, its a very useful thing to be able to
>
> FIne, those simple plugins are not likely to have DSP-based morphing or
> continuous randomization.  Or at least, it isn't likely to be used in this
> case.

What makes you think that?

> That requires a custom GUI, then.  Why does it keep coming back to that?
> We've already said that GMPI v1 may not even touch GUI.  Requiring something
> we don't provide is a really crappy answer, IMHO.

Its only not provided in the case that the hypothetical "morph start" is
to be triggered by a MIDI note and GMPI hints dont include adequate hints
for MIDI control of host-built controls.