[gmpi] Re: 3.11 topic: Inter-parameter linkages

  • From: Tim Hockin <thockin@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2004 18:46:22 -0700

On Wed, Apr 14, 2004 at 12:42:21PM +1200, Jeff McClintock wrote:
> > I don't see a clean way to do parameter clipping without making another
> > level of dynamism on top of parameters.  The ideal would be that the GUI
> > knob would just stop rotating at a certain point, until the clip was
> > resolved.  Making it go past the clip then come back after some latency
> > DOES suck.
>
> That's why the Actor is in the MVC notification loop.  No latency. All
> values are clipped *before* being broadcast to the GUIs.

It works for GUI, but there is physical latency with some UIs:

GUI:
        user twists a knob 1.0
        GUI calls the actor
        actor modifies 1.0 to 0.75
        GUI draws 0.75
        - no (perceivable) latency

Motorized fader:
        user pushed fader to 1.0 (127)
        control-surface interface receives MIDI event (or whatever)
        control-surface interface calls actor
        actor modifies 1.0 to 0.75 (95)
        control-surface interface sends MIDI feedback (or whatever) of 95
        - probably negligible latency?

So maybe it is negligible.. Still recovering from bad flu, brain not 100%
yet.  Trying to not get buried here.  I *think* we're really close.  What I
am looking for now is a way to characterize this into reqs..